Brazilian Keratin hair straightening is probably the most misunderstood of all hair treatments. Here’s what you need to know:
- Your hair is actually made of keratin, which is a hair protein, so there is nothing inherently harmful about marinating your hair in it. All of our Arlington Urban Halo Salon stylists who use Keratin have received extensive training in the process to ensure that the result is not only safe, but meets your expectations.
- The Process: The stylist sections & combs the formula into your hair until the follicles are saturated, and then uses a blow-dryer to dry and a flat iron to seal the treatment in small sections. The process could take anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on hair length and texture.
- A keratin application has the effect of smoothing the surface of your hair follicles, thereby reducing waves and curls. It also helps make your hair shinier and actually reduces breakage as well.
- Unlike some other straightening techniques, using a Keratin hair straightening treatment on bleached or dyed hair can actually make the hair feel and look healthier.
- Keratin is not permanent; it gradually washes out in about eight weeks, but tends to lasts as long as five-six months if aftercare is followed properly. Our stylists will discuss this with you to tailor the process to meet your expectations.
- A weaker formulation of Keratin smoothing called “Keratin Express” can result in “taking the frizz out,” without releasing your curls.
- Because you want the effect to last, you’ll want to limit the number of times/week that you shampoo (three times max.) and you should use a keratin-safe shampoo. Our stylists will help identify the best shampoos for your hair.
Ready to have reduced frizz and smoother, easier to manage hair? Give our Arlington salon a call today, and we’ll help you decide if a Keratin Hair Straightening Treatment is right for you!